There is always an option of getting your birth certificate translated while in France but just to avoid the last-moment rush, it is recommended that you do it while you’re in India or your home country.
(Updated ) – I have, however, found someone who is quite quick and will send you a scan of the document via email. I have mentioned her email address at the end of my article.
Before getting your Birth certificate translated you will be required to get it apostilled.
Apostilation means verification of the authenticity of the documents.
- Get your birth certificate issued from the Municipal office of your birth (no other document is valid, no affidavit, notary or any other). Try to get two originals if possible (Keep one at home in case.).
- You need to then contact the Ministry of Home Affairs of your State where they have a certification/attestation/authentification office.
- Inform them that you have to get your birth certificate “apostilled” by MEA, Delhi.
- This office of your home State will authenticate your birth certificate.
- Then you contact the MEA office that does the apostillation. List of Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Guwahati offices given on :
For those who are not in these cities (Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Guwahati) you may send your documents to the offices mentioned in the list of the MEA on the website (OR can get it done by an agent who has been doing it for the Assistants). The documents which need to be sent:
- the original authenticated birth certificate (done by the Ministry of Home Affairs of your State )
- a copy of this birth certificate
- a copy of your passport
The agent will then send your documents to the MEA and get them apostilled.
Once this process is complete, he shall return the documents to you by courrier.
For candidates who shall be sending their documents to the agent: All this process of authentication at your home city will take quite some time and then apostillation in Delhi will also take at least a week. Hence please try to do at the earliest.
I got the entire thing done by an agent. By entire thing mean the authentication by SDM as well as apostilation. It took exactly a day! Here the details of the agent:
⚠️ Another important thing that you should know is that in France, most official documents should not be older than three months. So make sure you have the latest copy before getting it translated. Most translators send you a revised version of your updated certificates at a nominal fee if you happen to need them again.
Hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to share your own suggestions.